The most surprising thing of 2004 has been my newfound friendship with the Mallavian Whiz. For a large part of my undergrad years, he has been a mere speckle on my radar; I noticed him, I thought he was slightly odd and I never really acknowledged his presence except to poke fun at his oddness.

It wasn’t until this year that I actually began to talk to the MW. And it wasn’t until recently that the MW and I started to converse about things other than Stochastic Calculus. I am ashamed to admit that I only started talking to him because I needed help with assignments that I couldn’t figure out on my own.

Now upon closer acquaintance, I feel like a male lead in a teen comedy. I am Freddie Prinze Jr., who suddenly realises that some Hilary Duff or similar character is quite interesting behind a façade of Mallavian Calculus.

Before I get any further, I should note that the MW and I are not about to conclude the chapter with an ending worthy of a teen comedy. Don’t expect any sentimental violin solos accompanying the MW sashaying down the stairs of his parents’ house in a slinky prom dress with me ready to tie a corsage on his wrist.

The MW thinks I am quite mad. The other day we were discussing the constant bickering between China and Taiwan. I likened it to a couple experiencing a bad break up that has lasted over fifty years.

“The thing is, MW, if you really love someone, you should set them free,” I said, jokingly.

The MW, being the serious man that he is, was unimpressed and speechless. I don’t think my likening him to Hilary Duff will be of any comfort either.

0 Responses

Post a Comment