When my parents got their passports renewed recently, I was their "in case of emergency". Such a role came with heavy responsibility, which to be frank, I overlooked initially until one chilly morning I received a phone call as I was on my way into work.

Serious person on phone: "I understand from Father of Swell Mademoiselle's passport application that you are his in case of emergency contact."

Oh no, I thought. What kind of hot water has my passive papa got himself into? A phone call like that about my mama is not unexpected, but the solid paternal figure of my life never gets into any trouble.

Serious person on phone: "We have just received his passport application and there appears to be a bit of problem."

Me: "Okay."

Serious person on phone: "He's smiling."

Me: "And that's a problem?"

Serious person on phone: "Yes, he can't smile on passport photos. It's a problem for the facial recognition program used for machine readable passports. He should have a neutral expression showing no teeth or gum."

Me [finding this all too funny]: "Right. I guess none of those terrorists ever smile eh? Not a hint of gum there."

Serious person on phone: "This is a serious matter, can you please just pass on the message to your father please.

Me: "Sure, no problem."
Labels: | edit post
0 Responses

Post a Comment